What To Do When You're In Trouble Abroad

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about International Travel and other Adventure Travel topics.

What if I get into trouble overseas?

What To Do When You're In Trouble Abroad

Here's an international travel tip. * If you are a US citizen and find yourself in a jam overseas, you have options. The Office of American Services and Crisis Management (ACS) exists to serve Americans traveling or residing abroad. ACS supports the work of US overseas embassies and consulates by providing emergency services to Americans in cases of arrest, death, crime victimization, repatriation, medical evacuation, temporary financial assisance, and welfare-and-whereabouts cases. They also operate 24-hour Duty Officer Programs and Crisis Response Teams who work on task forces convened to deal with natural or man-made disasters.



9/29/2007 7:27:28 PM
Ray Ryan said:

Interesting, but not useful. Should I register with the ACS before visiting a country? How do I get in touch with ACS if I need their help? Do they really perform or are they another US bureaucracy that really does not meet its mission.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Adventure Travel Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Kelley Diekman